Current:Home > MarketsNew York City interim police commissioner says federal authorities searched his homes -Capitatum
New York City interim police commissioner says federal authorities searched his homes
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 23:46:43
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City’s interim police commissioner revealed late Saturday that federal authorities had executed search warrants at his homes.
Thomas Donlon, who became the interim commissioner just one week ago after the resignation of his predecessor, issued a statement on the search through the police department.
“On Friday, September 20, federal authorities executed search warrants at my residences. They took materials that came into my possession approximately 20 years ago and are unrelated to my work with the New York City Police Department,” the statement said.
“This is not a department matter, and the department will not be commenting,” he added.
The statement did not address what the investigation was about, which federal authorities were involved or what “materials” had been seized.
The unexplained and surprising search comes as the administration of New York City Mayor Eric Adams has been reeling from other federal law enforcement investigations.
Just a week ago, the previous police commissioner, Edward Caban, resigned after federal authorities seized his electronic devices as part of an investigation that also involved his brother, a former police officer.
Federal agents also have seized phones from the head of the city’s public schools, a top deputy mayor, Adams’ top public safety adviser, and a year ago from the mayor himself.
Charges have not been brought in connection with any of those searches and it remained unclear whether there was any connection to the search involving Donlon, who wasn’t part of the Adams administration until a few days ago.
An FBI spokesperson declined to comment. An email seeking comment from a spokesperson for the U.S. attorney in Manhattan was not immediately returned. A text sent to Adams’ top spokesperson late Saturday night also wasn’t immediately returned.
Donlon spent decades with the FBI, where he worked on terrorism cases including the investigation into the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center, the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania and a 2000 attack on a U.S. Navy destroyer.
Roughly 20 years ago he was a top counterterrorism official for the FBI in New York.
From 2009 to 2010, Donlon led New York state’s Office of Homeland Security before going into the private sector security industry.
Adams appointed Donlon as his commissioner last week and he assumed the post on Sept. 13, one week ago Friday.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- This Mother's Day, share a heartfelt message with these 30 quotes about mothers
- 'I did it. I killed her.' Man charged with strangling wife in hospital bed over medical bills
- How Colman Domingo's 2024 Met Gala Look Honors Late Actor Chadwick Boseman
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Gov. Kristi Noem faces questions in new interview about false claim in her book that she met Kim Jong Un
- Kim Kardashian Wears Her Most Curve-Hugging Look to Date at 2024 Met Gala
- Powerball winning numbers for May 6 drawing: $215 million jackpot winner in Florida
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Teen falls down abandoned Colorado missile silo, hospitalized with serious injuries
Ranking
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Kendrick Lamar and Drake released several scathing diss tracks. Here's a timeline of their beef.
- Demi Lovato marks Met Gala return in Prabal Gurung gown with 500 hand-cut flowers
- FBI lays out detailed case against Florida man accused in wife’s disappearance in Spain
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- For a Louisiana lawmaker, exempting incest and rape from the state’s abortion ban is personal
- Pregnant Lea Michele Is Real-Life Sleeping Beauty Vibes at the 2024 Met Gala
- Nintendo to announce Switch successor in this fiscal year as profits rise
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Donald Trump calls Joe Biden weak on antisemitism, ignoring his own rhetoric
One way to appreciate teachers: These schools provide their day care
Wrestlemania returning to Sin City: WWE taking marquee event to Las Vegas in 2025
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Timberwolves center Rudy Gobert misses Game 2 in Denver after flying home for birth of his son
Jodie Turner-Smith Turns Heads With Striking Blonde Hair at 2024 Met Gala
Kim Kardashian Wears Her Most Curve-Hugging Look to Date at 2024 Met Gala